The NEUL consists today of nine parishes whose organizational center and headquarters is in Beirut. These include, other than Beirut, 'Abeih, 'Aramoun, Khaldeh, Kafarshima, Hadath, Dbayyeh, Bhamdoun and Dhour El-Showeir.
The Beirut church is the oldes and largest of these nine congregations; indeed, it is the oldes indigenous Arabic-speaking Portestant congregation in the Middle East. It was established in Beirut in 1848 as a result of the efforts of Congregational and Presbyterian missionaries from the United States. In 1869, the first evangelical church edifice was built to house the Arabic and English-speaking congregations. The congregations of the Union are typical of most other evangelical churches around the world. They have active Sunday school, youth groups, women's program, spiritual, social and cultural services and committees which minister to the needs of the congregation and the society surrounding it.
In 1975, with the beginning of the war in Lebanon, most of the active ministries of the NEUL came to a halt. The Church of Beirut was still able to worship in the chapel of the near East School of Theology in Ras Beirut. However, most of the churches of the Union were destroyed or deserted. The elementary and high school, which the Beirut Church was running in the nearby town of Dbayyeh, had to move to several different locations in and around Beirut during the war years (1975-1990).
In 1990, the churches of the Union began gradually to rebuild their infrastructures and rejuvenate their ministries and activities. This process is still going on. It is, however, slow, time consuming and expensive. Thanks to the commitment of the members of the congregation, however, as well as the helping hands of sister churches and mission organisations - especially the EMS - the results have been fruitful and encouraging. The love of Christ for all human beings, regardless of gender, race, colour or religion, shines through the dedicated lives of the Church members and friends.
At present, the Union runs a number of social and educational projects in different parts of Lebanon: two elementary schools, one in Ras Beirut and another in Kafashima, and a high scholl in Kafashima as well. There are two more school campuses in the towns of Dbayyeh, and Khaldeh which the Union has not been able to use because they are occupied by war refugees of the Lebanese army. The Union also runs the Schneller orphanage and school (academic and vocational) in the village of Khirbet Qanafar, in the Beqa' Valley of Lebanon. This orphanage was founded in Jerusalem in 1860 to house the victims of the civil war in Lebanon, but was moved to Lebanon after the establishment of the State of Israel. It is run in partnership with EMS.