Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea
(Print | Send a update)

Academy House San 76
Suyu 6-dong, Kangbuk-Gu
Seoul 142-714
Korea, Republic of (Asia)
Telephone: +82 2 3499 7600
Fax: +82 2 3499 7630
Email: prok3000@chollian.net
Address-No.: 13109 / 4601

Information in the internet:

URL: http://www.prok.org
Languages of the website: Korean, English

This church is the result of a conflict over theological positions within the Presbyterian Church of Korea. The conflict arose in Chosun Seminary. Because of refusal to worship at the emperor�s shrine, the Theological Seminary in Pyongyang was closed down by force in 1938. Some of the leaders went into exile. One year later Chosun Seminary was reopened in the South; the new seminary was to become the nucleus of KiJang. In constrast to the Pyongyang seminary Chosun Seminary adopted a progressive theological line. After liberation the South Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Korea recognized Chosun Seminary as the seminary under the authority of the Assembly (1946). But an essay published by Dr. Kim Jae-Joon, president of the seminary, caused a violent debate between conservative and progressive theological positions. Dr. Park Hyung-Ryong decided to leave the seminary and to found a new Presb seminary; he was followed by 51 students (1947). The Assembly also recognized the new seminary. Now there were two competing seminaries under the authority of the Assembly. In order to unite them the Assembly withdrew both recognitions and urged them to give up separate management. In the process of the negotiations it became clear that the line adopted by Chosun Seminary was not shared by the Assembly. Dr. Kim Jae-Joon was was expelled from the church by the 37th Assembly in 1952. A year later the Chosun Group formed the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK). In 1954 the church adopted the name Han Kun Ki Dok Kyo Jang No Hoe (abbreviated KiJang). The church is the most progressive among the Presb churches in Korea. In 1956 it voted in favor of the ordination of women for the ministry and for eldership. In 1974 the first women were ordained, and in 1987Confession 1987was adopted. The church places strong emphasis on social and political action and has promoted the �Peace-Reunification Movement� since 1987. In 1993 the denomination celebrated its fortieth anniversary and began to develop the �Peace-Unity Movement� and the �Restoration of Life Movement.�

Note: We did not manage to contact this church. Therefore, we cannot exclude that its address has changed or that the church does not exist any more.
Whoever has information about this church may contact us. We will be happy to update our information.

Statistic data of church

total: 326076
(conventionally): 801
house fellowships
(Number of growing parishes): 631
Ordained clergy
total: 1734
women´s ordination
total: 2800
total: 0
  no information about deacons
total: 0
missionaries working abroad
Baptismal practise
no information about baptism
No information about godparents
Lord's Supper
Frequency per annum: 0
Newspapers/ Periodicals
no information about publication of magazines
Theological training facilities

Number: 2

Schools providing general education
no information about other schools
Founded in
Organizational structures
Presbyterian (10 Presbytery, General Assembly)
Traditional type
  • presbyterian
Official languages
  • Korean
  • Apostles´ Creed
  • Westminster Confession (1646/47)
Partner churches

International assiciations

Members and partners:


last update: 01.03.2006
back to the list

To this data record I would like to communicate the following corrections:


nach oben

Copyright © 2002 reformed online
Stiftung Johannes a Lasco Bibliothek Grosse Kirche Emden
Kirchstrasse 22, 26721 Emden, Germany
Telefon: 04921 - 9150 - 0, Telefax: 04921 - 9150 - 50
Internet: http://www.reformiert-online.net
Email: fasse@reformiert-online.de
nach oben