HOMEPAGE    ADDRESSES    CONTENTS    CONTACT    ABOUT US 
 

 
 
ADDRESSES
 
SIMPLE SEARCH
CHURCHES
LIBRARIES
THEOLOGICAL SCHOOLS

 

 

Gereja Protestan di Sulawesi Tenggara
(Print | Send a update)

Protestant Church in Southeast Sulawesi
GEPSULTRA
Jalan Dr. Ratulangi 121
PO Box 3
Kendari 93121
Sulawesi Tenggara
Indonesia (Asia)
Telephone: +62 401 321506
Fax: +62 401 322626
Email: gepsultra@kendari.wasantara.net.id
Address-No.: 1350 / 4224

Christianity entered southeast Sulawesi for the first time in 1885-1887, when the RCath Mission had a post in Kendari. Around 1910 the Protestant Church had a congregation there, consisting of government officials and military. The Prot mission effort began in earnest in 1916, when Islam had already gained a foothold; so it had to fight an uphill battle. Only a small percentage of the population became Christian (first baptism September 1, 1918). During World War II the church suffered from the Japanese, the more so because the mission had not made preparations by ordaining ministers and registering property in the name of the congr. In 1950 a missionary and several church workers, who were traveling around to make preparations for church independence, were killed by Muslim guerillas. In 1957 thepolitical situation had stabilized sufficiently for the GEPSULTRA to become constituted as an independent church. After 1968, when the Muslim rebellion had been stamped out, the central government started a development program which included the transmigration of large numbers of settlers from other provinces to sparsely populated southeast Sulawesi. As a result, the church now consists of elements belonging to 27 ethnic entities, among them Torajans, Javanese, and Balinese; its ministers belong to 12 ethnic entities. The number of Christians in the area attached to different churches has increased from 6,000 (1966) to 40,000 (1995), out of a total population of 1,400,000 now. A related problem was the great difference in agricultural methods between the indigenous population, including the Christians, still using slash-and-burn technology, and the new arrivals, who were familiar with sawah culture. The church responded with a village development program founded upon a “village theology,” which brought together people of both categories and combined agricultural training with spiritual upbuilding. The GEPSULTRA has two orphanages, 1 elementary school, and 4 secondary schools. It publishes a magazine,Bulletin Gepsultra.The church considers February 10, 1957, as its birth date.
 

Note: We did not manage to contact this church. Therefore, we cannot exclude that its address has changed or that the church does not exist any more.
Whoever has information about this church may contact us. We will be happy to update our information.
 


Statistic data of church

Members
total: 25135
Parishes
(conventionally): 88
house fellowships
(Number of growing parishes): 12
Ordained clergy
total: 43
 
women´s ordination
Elders/Presbyters
total: 0
Deacons
total: 0
  deacons available
Missionaries
total: 0
 
missionaries working abroad
Baptismal practise
infant and believer´s baptism
Godparents
No information about godparents
Lord's Supper
Frequency per annum: 6
Newspapers/ Periodicals
no information about publication of magazines
Theological training facilities

 
Number: 1

Schools providing general education
other schools
Founded in
1957
Organizational structures
Presbyterial-Synodal
Official languages
  • Indonesian
Confessions
  • Apostles´ Creed
  • Nicene Creed (381)
Partner churches
Association

International assiciations

 

last update: 08.02.2006
»
back to the list

To this data record I would like to communicate the following corrections:

 
 

 NEWS   WORLDWIDE   WARC   LIBRARY   EDUCATION   ENCYCLOPAEDIA   LINKS 
 
nach oben

Copyright © 2002 reformed online
Stiftung Johannes a Lasco Bibliothek Grosse Kirche Emden
Kirchstrasse 22, 26721 Emden, Germany
Telefon: 04921 - 9150 - 0, Telefax: 04921 - 9150 - 50
Internet: http://www.reformiert-online.net
Email: fasse@reformiert-online.de
nach oben