In 1891, a missionary sent by the Cape Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa, Andrew A. Louw, began work among the Shona and established, with the help of African workers, several mission posts in the country (Morgenster, Gutu, Alheit, Makumba, etc.). Later the work expanded among the Nyanja. The church has a strong commitment to evangelism. In 1995 a new center was opened in Dete, and in 1996 another one in Binga among the Tonga people.
The church is involved in evangelism in OMBY communal lands where another centre has been established.